IT Deptt steps up actions under Benami Transactions (Prohibition) Amendment Act, 2016
The Government is keen to implement the new Benami Act in an effective manner with visible outcomes on the ground, therefore
1. 24 dedicated Benami Prohibition Units(BPUs) have been set up all over India recently; and
2. These units are under the overall supervision of the Principal Directors of Investigation of the IT Department to enable swift action and follow up.
Income Tax Department has in its drive has identified more than 400 benami transaction up to 23.05.2017 including deposits in Bank Accounts, plots of Land, flats & Jewellery.
Recent actions taken by department
1. Provisional attachment of properties under the act has been done in more than 240 cases.
2. Market value of properties under attachment is more than Rs 600 Crore.
3. Immovable Properties have been attached in 40 cases with total value of more than Rs 530 cr
PS: Benami Property includes movable or immovable property, tangible or intangible property, corporeal or incorporeal property.